Thursday, January 5, 2023

Sometimes a Book Just Finds You

Sometimes you find a book and sometimes a book finds you.  

Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund is a book that found me.  A friend mentioned it during Ladies Bible Study the other day when we got on the subject of going to God when we're weary.  It's based on Matthew 11:29,

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, 
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:29, NKJV

It was a passing comment that piqued my interest and so, like any good friend, she had it in her purse for me the next time we saw each other.


This book is a deep dive into the love of God.  It's thought provoking and meaty.  It's meant to be read slowly.  I've been using it almost like a devotional, reading a few pages or a chapter each day during my time with God, looking up the Scriptures and mulling over it.

We view God's love through our own human lens, and I love how eye-opening it is to realize that God IS love.  He doesn't have an end to His love because He IS love.  When we think we are no longer lovable, He still loves.  It's heart-movingly beautiful and solidly Biblical.  

"God's love is as boundless as himself."
~Dane Ortlund

He then quotes, 

"...God's love is, as Jonathan Edwards puts it, 
'an ocean without shores or bottom.'"

Our God is so much more incredible than we can even imagine.  Though we often believe He is a loving God, it's like we have a limit to how much He can love us.  I'm challenged even moreso to let the Word fortify my thoughts and views of Him and His character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!