Friday, April 26, 2019

Good Practice

This co-op session, I've had the pleasure of teaching an etiquette class with my friend, Elizabeth.  This has turned out to be one of my most favorite classes we've ever taught.  Perhaps the students had something to do with it.  Varying in age from 13 to 16 yrs of age, they listened attentively and jumped in to our class discussions.  They shared funny stories and astute observations, while respectfully soaking up our etiquette lessons.


After putting them through mock interviews that required dressing up and preparing for real interview questions, we decided that we should end the class on both a high and memorable note.  Elizabeth arranged for us to have a three course dinner at a fancy restaurant. 

I have to say, even I was a bit nervous.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  They were nervous too, but they dressed to the nines and went for it anyway.  They designated me as the hostess and together we navigated three courses of fancy silverware, yummy food and cloth napkins.  The best part though?  These kids aced the small talk part of our course.  We had engaging and enjoyable conversation around the dinner table throughout the entire meal.  I couldn't have been prouder of the young adults these kids are becoming. 

The funny thing is, they all enjoyed it so much, they mentioned doing it again!  Supper club, anyone?