Monday, April 29, 2019

#pdymconvention

Last week, I had the privilege of joining our youth group at youth convention.  Spending quality time with teens in a camp-style setting is something I haven't done in years.  But, there's something about teenagers.  Maybe it's because they're still becoming who they are.  Maybe it's because they have cool thoughts.  Maybe it's because they still like to have fun.  Maybe it's because being passionate and being different matters to them.


Blossom1 and Blossom2 were experiencing their first trip to youth convention.  They also performed their drama with two other friends.  After months of practices, they turned in their best performance yet, resulting in their drama advancing to Nationals. We were astounded and so excited for the four of them.  What a way to use your gifts for Jesus!  I'm excited to see what's next in that journey!


On Good Friday morning, we shared communion and a candlelight service with about 6,000 other teens.  What an experience ~ to revel in the shed blood of Christ, to rejoice in His miraculous Resurrection in the company of so many believers.


Watching teens stand and heed the call of God, whilst their peers watched, with no pomp and no hype, encouraged me in my own walk with God.

Yes, maybe I started a glow stick fight at the hotel, but it was a highlight in the week.  I didn't hear any teens complaining.

There were times of honesty and sharing.  These trips are memorable for moments of raw honesty.  I mentioned the phrase "Pray hard.  Play hard."  It's a phrase that has been important to me most of my life.  It embodies the passion, zeal and exuberance that I live my life by - for Jesus and consequently, in all that I do.  After sharing that, we had some time to kill at Hobby Lobby and my friend snagged this for me!


I'm thankful for all that Blossom1, Blossom2 and I saw and experienced last week.  


We're already looking forward to next year.  Don't worry, I'm bringing the glow sticks.

Dominique