Monday, April 15, 2019

On the Hardest, Most Tiring Days...

"What are the best parts of our days, even when we are tired, 
the progress is slow and the morale is down?"

I asked myself this question this afternoon.  A few things instantly came to mind. 

Listening to audio books ranks at the top of the list!

I ALWAYS have an audio book going in the van.  Always. 

I get recommendations from all my super star homeschooling mama friends and my awesome librarian friends.  These ladies are treasure troves of information. 

Recently, we finished The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street.  It was tale of a family of children, coming together to convince their reclusive and grieving landlord to let them stay.  It was full of mischief, kindness, lessons and humor. 

We moved on to The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden.  It was reminiscent of the Secret Garden.  The story was heartfelt and so inspiring that the little Blossoms have since started a "garden" in the front woods.  I love books that inspire the girls to go, play and try new things. 

Yesterday, I picked up Pippi Longstocking.  I remember reading her escapades as a girl, but none of the girls have really gotten into her adventures yet.  Now, her high jinks and unabashed antics have the Blossoms completely enamored.  We're finding ourselves laughing out loud.  Inwardly, I'm marveling at the lessons entwined in the pages.

On the hardest, most tiring days, when the schedule is full, it is comforting to know that I'm filling their minds and hearts with solid literature. 

“When you read a book as a child, 

it becomes a part of your identity 

in a way that no other reading in your whole life does."

Meg Ryan as Kathleen Kelly,
from "You've Got Mail"