Friday, September 13, 2019

Five Tools that are Making our School Day Easier

The transition to the school year is just that - a transition.  Since we've been doing this a while, I think we had pretty accurate expectations for how it would go.  Mostly, the Blossoms are ravenously hungry all day for the first week.  My brain is ultra tired by 4:00.  I think I've accomplished a lot, but then I realize I forgot to do my housekeeping chores.  Then, after about a week and a half, things level out and we hit stride again.

A few things have really been helping to smooth out our days.  I thought it would be worth mentioning these, in case they help you.

1. Wireless Printing
Somewhere mid year last year we bought an inexpensive wireless printer.  I can print from my phone.  We can all print from either of the laptops without hassle and without my assistance.  Anything that helps the girls do things independently vastly helps our day!  It also means fewer technology headaches!!

2. HP Instant Ink Service
When I purchased the printer, I heard of a new service that ships ink cartridges to me for a small monthly fee.  I chose a package that fits the amount of printing we do (and it's a lot).  I get rollover pages for what I don't use and I don't have to worry about constantly remembering to buy ink cartridges at Walmart.  I'm saving money on ink too!!!  It's nice having one less thing to think about!  It seems they have packages for all different needs.  I'm glad I let the Rugged Mountain Man convince me to give it a shot!

3. Shortcuts on the Computer
The Blossoms are supposed to save all their work to specific folders.  They also have links to educational web sites and resources we use.  To keep things super simple, I spent about 10 minutes before school started creating shortcuts.  Now everyone, even Blossom3 and Blossom4, can access and save their work independently!

4. Pencil Sharpener
My mama got me a new swell pencil sharpener this school year.  Seriously, it's my best friend!  In previous years, I had all but given up on getting pencils truly sharp.  It seemed a ridiculous lost cause that caused me wayyyyy too much frustration, so we went almost entirely mechanical pencil.  It's so awesome to have a tool that really works!

5. Headphones
The Rugged Mountain Man and I picked up two new pairs of headphones.  One is smaller for the younger girls and one is larger.  They are still basic Walmart brand headphones, but they fit better and keep the important noise in and the peripheral noise out.  They've been a lifesaver for when the Blossoms are on the computers, doing what would be distracting work.

Hope your transition back to school has been smooth.  Don't give up!!!  Keep tweaking, keep making them do their work and keep fostering independence in whatever ways possible!  You'll reap good rewards!


Dominique