Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Around a Crackling Fire

My dream job is right where I am right now, but that doesn't mean it's always dreamy.  

Daily I strive to embrace the beautiful, unique nuances that characterize our every day (different) life so that the hard parts don't eclipse the goodness.  

It's the freedom to savor a crackling fire in the fireplace on a frigid winter day.  The Blossoms cheering when I agree to schoolwork in the living room reminds me afresh that it's the simple little things.

It's the flexibility to have a one-room schoolhouse feel with my Blossoms all around me all day.

It's the fun we have when we can watch a few minutes of the Bama/Auburn gymnastics meet that we missed last weekend over our lunch of party leftovers, supper fragments, and spur of the moment cooking.

We laugh together over last night's youth group conversations and shenanigans in between microwaving our food and making another cup of tea.

We curl up on the floor together and work through assignments.  I cheer them on when they just don't feel like it... and when I just don't feel like it.

When Blossom4 finishes a subject, we celebrate by teaching her how to safely add a log to the fire "all by herself."  

We plow through spelling and math right alongside our monstrous houndish family members, even if they step on a school book.  

We go on Tom-finding expeditions in between science and celebrating a fabulous hard-earned test score for Blossom3.

We discuss writing assignment topics from the couch and through the kitchen and over the wash and oh, just here and there.  

It's exquisitely mundane and it's quintessentially wintery 

and it's lovely when I look at it like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!