Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Where is the Good in February?

February, 2022 ~ How can this be?!  

Deep in the throes of winter, with whites and browns around us, I heard Blossom4 gleefully announce yesterday, "I love winter!!!"  She was scampering through the woods, returning from a venture to their fort with sisters and cousins clambering about her.

I suppose she approaches it with childlike simplicity.

She sees the good things.  And maybe the struggles pale for her.  


Yes, there truly are struggles for the Blossoms.  Caring for their micro farm livestock in this weather is not an easy task.  The ice makes chore time treacherous.  The layers are bulky.  There is extra work to make sure everything is warm, dry, and well fed.  And yet, she loves winter?

It could be the hot chocolate and muffins, or the sledding.

Watching her, I'm leaning on her childlike approach to February.  

While I did sled the other day (it hurt), the secret isn't there.  

It seems Blosoms4 focuses more on the good.  She must be honing in on the blessings of each day.  

So, today, I lingered a little longer as I gazed out the living room windows at each beautiful shade of crisp white, brilliant azure blue and all the calming neutral browns that no fashion designer can put together as well as the Great Designer.   Even the mud yesterday was a deeply intense sepia color that Bob Ross couldn't duplicate.


I celebrated that although the schedule for a family of six is always busy, I have a Valentine's date with my Rugged Mountain Man to look forward to.  There are yummy things on the menu and it will be just us two... finishing thoughts left and right!

I let my heart feel full as I watched the Blossoms troop out to feed the animals this morning.  Garbed in their off brand Carhartts, hand-me-down camos, and dirty muck boots, they laughed a little and lugged their buckets.  Their moments of camaraderie bless me.

I inhaled deeply the fragrance of homemade rolls baking and I reminded the Blossoms that mama has been making this recipe with her mama ever since she was a preteen.  

I smiled when my brother pointed out that this is a prime time for looking at animal tracks in the snow.  We found it fascinating to follow tracks to and from the creek with the Blossoms on Saturday.

And there's always tea... with cozy blankets and thick socks.  


When the schedule gets busy and the snow keeps coming, I'll take a lesson from Blossom4.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!