Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Happy-Go-Lucky Little Ladies or Mini-Monsters 3

#3 - Help them obey. Keep in mind that we're talking about younger children. For example, as you are telling her to "Come here to Mommy" gently take her hand and start to walk as you give the command. As she grows older, you can move further and further away from her. Don't be discouraged, you're just giving her baby steps! I also find that togetherness is key. One of our youngest daughter's chores (2ish) is taking the placemats off the table. When it stopped being fun, we take her hand, walk to the table and assist in taking the placemats off the table. Sometimes it only takes getting her to the table and she takes over from there. Sometimes it takes physically lifting her hand. Whatever the case that day, I am teaching her self control. She doesn't have it naturally! I'm helping her develop it. Another point in helping them to obey is not subjecting them to undue temptation. We used to have our stereo down on the floor. For a while it wasn't a problem. Eventually the temptation became too great. And eventually, Mommy got a clue, I moved the stereo up. I was helping her obey by removing the temptation. I DO NOT THINK this applies to every temptation because they'd never learn to not touch things they shouldn't. I decided to choose my battles. Remove the stereo and focus on obedience in her not standing on the couch and not touching the hot wood stove.