Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy-Go-Lucky Little Ladies or Mini Monsters 4

#4 - Be careful what you command. I get busy. Super busy. And when I do, I dole out commands left and right, including things that actually require assistance. Then, I get frustrated because she's not listening. So, I have to rein in my mouth. I have to have self control over myself to stop and go help her do the things she should. Take heart. They are young. You won't be doing this for them when they are older. (I have 2 older ones and they are a huge help now!) This is an investment of training now. "But my to-do list is so long!" Yes, and it will be even longer in 5 years if you have to do everything for them at that stage in life too! So, instead of yelling out, "Go get your sippy cup" (something you know she can do, but may or may not exercise the self control to do), take her hand and find the sippy cup. Then, give her the same command when you're 2 feet from the cup. Build up to that obedience level that we expect from them. The flip side is that when she's receiving commands and she knows you're busy and not paying attention, she will capitalize on that. "Mommy isn't paying attention and so I don't have to either." When I slow down and pay attention and really supervize and assist according to the age level of the child, the obedience level (and happiness level) goes way up in our house. The other trap I find myself falling into is repeating myself. I stop paying attention and pretty soon I say things 5-6 times before I see obedience. And then I have the gall to complain to my husband. The answers are in my own hand! Pay attention. I shoot for only saying something twice. But that means I have to be paying attention to give the command. Repeat. Then, enforce and follow-up. I need my children to obey at once. That is what God expects of me, so that is what I'm shooting for with them.