Monday, June 3, 2013

Who's on you shoulder?

Way back in the early days with only one Blossom, our church family gave us a copy of Dare to Discipline, by Dr. James Dobson.  My husband and I read this child-rearing classic together.  It helped to shape and solidify our views on child-rearing.  I distinctly remember something about teaching children to work.  Mothers often take the quick and easy route and just pick up the messy kid clutter themselves.  Dr. Dobson said something to this effect - You're NOT DOING them any favors by doing that.  And so, just like in the old cartoon where there's an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, I think I have Dr. Dobson on my shoulder.  When I get tired of walking past the messes, I reach down to pick it up instead of calling them to tidy up something.  Dr. Dobson's voice rings out loud and clear, "Mommy, you're NOT DOING them any favors!!!!!"  Inevitably, I'm re-energized to make the time investment necessary to teach them to work.  :)