Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I Wanna Be Like My Dog

You already know of the Blossoms' propensity for harnessing dog strength for the girlies' own work and pursuits.  We learned when Rory joined our family that his breed originated as livestock guardian dogs, as well as carting dogs. 



While I was in Wisconsin, the Rugged Mountain Man took the Blossoms sledding at the gigantic local sledding hill.  And, Rory pulled Blossom3, who is six years old, UP the entire hill numerous times. 
Of course, this has reignited the Blossoms' passion for having a carting dog.  We borrowed a pack from a friend and Rory has since been carrying a large load of full water bottles up the hill when the girlies are choring in the mornings.  Since then, they've rigged our very large wagon and hooked it to his harness.  I finally got to witness Rory pulling Blossom3 and Blossom4 around the yard in the wagon.  Amazing. 



What's more amazing is that his tail was wagging, the whole time.  We've seen passion in a dog before.  Jake, our golden retriever, is passionate about retrieving.  He's crazy passionate.  He'd run himself into the ground retrieving.  He's made for it.  Rory can take it or leave it.  We've surely discovered Rory's passion now.  Pulling.  Pulling makes Rory's doggie heart go pitter-patter.


I marveled as I watched this canine display from the house.  "His tail is wagging."  He's pulling somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 pounds.  And his tail is wagging. 

Pulling is hard.  Hard is frequently perceived as bad. 

To Rory, it isn't bad, because it's what he was created to do. 



Wife-Motherhood is hard.  It's tiring.  It's a daily grind.  It's work.  It's long.  It's tough.  It's thankless.  It's discouraging, especially after my Mommyometer plummets nightly at 8:00 pm. 

But I want my tail to be wagging.  This is God's purpose for me.  I'm smack dab in the center of God's will.  There is great joy in doing what you've been created to do. 



We let joy become overshadowed by the hard work involved in our purpose.

I don't want to miss the joy of being in God's will and doing that thing He created me to do, just because it's hard. 




I wanna be like my dog. 
Dominique