Friday, September 23, 2016

The Ocean

For some time, we've had a hankerin' to take the girlies to see the ocean.  We haven't put much priority on this desire, since little girlies think sand and water is sand and water... meaning our favorite local state parks hold as much appeal and enjoyment as the real beach, with considerably less driving time, less $$$$ and less people.

 
However, on our recent trip to Colonial Williamsburg, we thought we'd throw in an ocean visit, as if our itinerary of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown in two and a half days wasn't enough.
 
 
They're old enough to truly appreciate experiencing the "Sea," as Blossom3 called it. 
 
True to form, my husband has a knack for finding just the right spot.  He motioned us to take our picnic lunch onto an empty pier, complete with picnic tables; one I hadn't spied. 
 
No one else was around.  It felt as if we were alone on a private peninsula.  The location and good fellowship of that picnic was the highlight of the afternoon. 


The Blossoms savored every ship, every breeze, every wave, every sea gull and every grain of sand, glorying in each detail in a way that only children can.  Shouts of delight, grins of happiness and bursts of enthusiasm punctuated the hours we spent on the beach. 

 
Blossom1 and Blossom2 were considerably braver in the ocean water than my sister and I were as kids.  I appreciated the time reflecting on the sand with Blossom4, my nephew and my sister.  The dads pulled wave duty further out from shore.  I feel calm wash over me as I peruse these pictures.  I'm so glad we finally did the ocean thing. 
 
I'm hoping to share more on our Virginia adventure in the days to come.  Until then, keep the faith, friends!