Monday, April 8, 2013

Bible Version Recommendation



It's very important to me that my children know how normal it is for a Christian to read the Bible on a regular basis.  That translates into starting our Blossoms reading It young.  And, much as I value the linguistic beauty of the King James Version, I don't think that a 5 year old appreciates it yet.  I did a lot of research on the reading levels of different versions when Skeeter (#1) was young.  We bought her first Bible the Christmas she was in Kindergarten.  She was approximately 5 1/2 years old.  We settled on the International Children's Bible.  I read samples.  I checked font sizes.  I LABORED over this decision.  (Seriously, internet research can make you nutty because of the sheer vastness of information available; I'm convinced of this point!)  Now, although I personally read the New American Standard Bible on a regular basis, I just didn't think my 5 1/2 year old was ready for that (yet).  But, we didn't want just a storybook of watered down happy-go-lucky stories.  There may be a time and a place for that, but we wanted a real Bible for this stage.  Fast forward a couple of years, Scooter (#2) is now 5 1/2 years old.  She got her very own International Children's Bible this past Christmas and she was SO excited over it.  Now, she regularly reads aloud out of it to me during school.  Next, we usually transition them to reading independently at naptime aka rest time.  I think this builds a foundation for their own personal devotional time with God.  I'm so happy with the ICB.  The research was worth it.  When Skipper's 5th Christmas rolls around, she'll find a pretty red Bible under the tree, complete in a homemade girlie-looking Bible cover.  And, I can't wait to sit and have her read it to me.  The ICB has been a means to an end for us.  Maybe it can be for yours as well.