Friday, June 20, 2014

Just lookin'

We catch things here.  Toads.  Bugs.  Morning Doves.  Yes, even snakes at times.  (not with bare hands)  And, I don’t like it when they croak.  (No pun intended.)  But, we’ve been getting into a groove. 

Catch it.
Feed it.  (or attempt to feed it).
Watch it.
Release it.

So much fun!  Even BabyBlossom loves looking at the Eastern Swallowtail caterpillar that we have currently abiding in the neat little “habitat” that someone gave us.  (He's munching on cilantro in here.  Check out this link if you want to know more http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_black_swallowtail.htm)




The toad was great too!  They saw him whip out his lightning fast tongue and snag a fly.  I have never even witnessed this phenomenon, but the Blossoms have.

How. Cool. Is. That.  (Blossom1 is appalled at the periods in the middle of the sentence.  My Master Homeschooling Mama reputation is apparently at stake.  I must emphasize though!) 
Yep, there's no harm in looking.  And, it's amazing what you might see in the process.

(or learn... Blossom1 is convinced he's fattening up already.  I think it is in order to make a chrysalis.  She's adamant that caterpillars molt.   If you'll excuse me, I have to go research whether or not caterpillars molt.  :)