Friday, February 27, 2015

Like Iron

"Iron sharpens iron,
So one man sharpens another."
Proverbs 27:17
 
I've had the privilege to be sharpened and hopefully, sharpen others lately.  It's got me thinking.  I don't want to say this, but I feel compelled to be honest.  I like to sharpen.  I don't like needing to be sharpened.  I believe that I am strong.  I don't like anyone to know about any of my weaknesses, but I don't think that's really what God had in mind.  And, I can see that to always be the one sharpening can sometimes be rooted in pride.  Is it because I think I am "too spiritual" or "too mature" to need anyone to sharpen me?  Lately I've been reminded that it takes a measure of humility to allow yourself to be sharpened.  And, close your mouth.  Yep, I said it.  Sometimes we simply need to be quiet. 
 
You can not be sharpened by what you never make time to hear! 
 
You can not be sharpened by what you never bother to hear.  Sometimes we're so caught up in what we have to say, what we WANT to say, our agenda, our ideas, our thoughts, our beliefs and our convictions.  (I think you all know that I have lots of those.)  Sometimes there's even the idea that if we don't talk, there might be that "awkward silence."  Did we ever consider that some folks need more than a few seconds to gather the courage (or their thoughts) enough to speak up?  Many times those are the words most worth hearing. 
 
I've been challenged lately to be quiet and to be humble.  Won't you join me in this journey?