Friday, July 3, 2015

What If?

Words have weight. 

Words have power. 

Words can sway people.  Lately I've been thinking about how serious a thing advice can be.  People make choices and decisions.  Sometimes they ask for my opinion and I'm realizing that advice ought to be viewed seriously.  What if you give advice and it steers people in the wrong direction?  What if they marry the wrong person?  What if they make a huge financial decision and totally bomb?  What if?  What if?  What if? 

I think Americans get a little flippant about advice.  I mean, think of the Dear Abby column.  Why would you write a total stranger about family problems?  Maybe they get flippant because they think this life is IT. 

It's not. 

There's Eternity to consider.  Your life decisions now, affect Eternity. 

So, if someone is talking me about their crossroads situation, I ought to be humble.  If God wants to speak through me, I'm happy to be the vessel.  But, if it's just my soapbox, "Dear Lord, help me to shut up!" 

My soapboxes will not help you make an Eternally worthwhile decision.  But, if God in me, can help you stay the course and stick to the Narrow path, then, thank God.