Friday, July 31, 2015

The Record in Your Head

I find there's a record that plays in our heads.  It can go something like this, "I'm so tired.  I don't have enough energy.  I can't get it all done.  I'm doing a terrible job..." 


Maybe that isn't always what your record says, but it becomes like Blonde jokes to a blond young woman ~ eventually you start to believe it


That's why I've found it is increasingly (as I get older) important to be careful what I'm putting into my mind, to make the record myself, so to speak.  When I was younger, hope seemed to flare easily.  I didn't have to work as hard to keep my thoughts in line.  I have to be more purposeful now.  It's healthy to recognize that and then do something about it.


I was reading Romans 8:7-9 the other day and jotted down these things for my mind to chew on:

*My mind is set on the Spirit.
*My mind is friendly toward God.
*My mind subjects itself to the law of God.
*My mind is able to do so.
*I can please God.
*I am in the Spirit because His Spirit dwells in me.
*I have the Spirit of Christ and so I belong to Him.

 
Periodically I glance at that little bright orange card and give my mind a better record to play repeatedly.  It sure beats, "I'm so tired... etc." 

 
"Because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God;
for it does not subject itself to the law of God,
for it is not even able to do so,
and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit,
if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ,
he does not belong to Him."
 Romans 8:7-9
 
What record is playing in your mind today?