Thursday, January 14, 2016

Winter, lately

The Blossoms are awfully thrilled right now.  Many folks would say that "Old Man Winter" came to visit us on Tuesday and today.  I never like to personalize nature like that.  It seems like a subtle way to ignore the Creator.  It has never sat well with me.  Thus, our version - "We got snow.  And yes, God sent it."  The Blossoms were so desperate to do some cross country skiing, that they ventured out when the snow barely covered the grass.  I'm sure the experts would be appalled, but I'm not one to fight a childish passion.  I try to go with it, whenever I can.  Today, we had slightly over an inch of snow, so Mommy even ventured out.  I only made a complete fool of myself once, and considering that we live in the country, I don't think that counts.  Fresh air is undervalued, friends.  It's just so good to get out there.  Granted, this mama is pretty hard-core in the bundle-up department, so the outdoors are "snow" much more fun, when you're actually warm.  (As my raised-on-a-farm-on-the-frozen-tundra-of-Wisconsin Daddy says, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices.")  Yes, I require a certain number of layers that include full body long johns.  Don't knock them, til you've tried them.  I bet you'll find that winter doesn't stink so bad when you're toasty.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to more snow (I heard you shriek... but what's the good of winter, if you can't enjoy the perks of winter?!) and I can't wait to break out the ice skates.  There's a small pond, aptly named, "Frog Pond," over at our local state park that is superb for skating.  We just need some more consistent cold weather to get out there.  Ye-ah!!!  Anyway, in between the outside choring and skiing, we've been enjoying some coloring in the evenings.  Mama likes doodling for the girlies, as well as for her Etsy shop.  I finished, "So many kids, so much joy," which totally makes me smile every time I look at it. 
It's been so cute, as Blossom3 now likes to "make coloring pages" for me, which I am honored to color with her. 



For a 5 year old, I'm pretty pleased with her skills.  She even attempts the special lettering, which seems pretty observant, if you ask me.  We put on some instrumental music, turn on Mama's new flameless candles (huge fan... except the girlies figured out where I hid the remote and love to "try them out."  Off.  On.  Off.  On.  Gah.) and color and chat.  There's the joy of children, just being together with them.  Happy wintertime, friends!


Dominique