Saturday, June 30, 2018

What I'm Reading... Lately

I love hearing what folks are reading.  It helps me to understand what they are thinking about.  It helps me see what they are interested in.  It opens my eyes to what is important to them.  Sharing about what you're reading is the meat of a good conversation.  Here's a little peek in to what I've been reading lately:

- A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
It's a novel about a dog's lives and his purpose.  My neighbor friend recommended this book to me.  It's her favorite.  It was an enjoyable read, mainly because I love my dogs and I think that it seemed to give insight into a dog's point of view on humans.  I've still never seen the movie, but I suspect, as it goes with most good books, that the movie doesn't do it justice. 

- Praying Circles Around Your Children by Mark Batterson
This was an excellent quick read that reinforced the importance of praying for your kids.  There was no condemnation in this book, just encouragement to pray regularly for them.  My favorite quote went something like this, "You will never be a perfect parent, but you CAN be a praying parent." 

- George Muller on Faith, compiled and edited by Lance Wubbels
I love these bite size nuggets of encouragement on faith.  When the Holy Spirit shined His light on my heart, illuminating bits of fear that had taken up residence there, I felt it was time to dig into faith more deeply.  This little book has been so good for me. 

- Hidden Currents by Christy Barritt
This is a squeaky clean mystery set in Lantern Beach, North Carolina.  I really do love my fiction squeaky clean and this fit the bill as a modern mystery with some good sarcasm and humor thrown in the mix.  The main character is hiding from a gang, under the cover as the local ice cream truck lady.  Book 1 didn't wrap up the plot though, so I guess I'll have to read book 2 now...

- II Chronicles, book of the Bible
I especially loved II Chronicles 13:14, where it talks about how the army of Judah was being attacked from the front and the rear.  When they realized this, they cried out to the Lord for help.  Then, they fought!  I love the lesson in that.  When you realize things are bad, cry out to God right away... but then fight!  And then God did a miracle.  Yep, that's the God I serve!

-The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
My sister-in-law lent me this book, mentioning that she thought I'd really like it.  She was right!  I enjoyed Chip & Jo's down-home point of view and sharing of their story.  I also really appreciated how they shared the workings of their marriage - learning to play off each other's strengths, recognizing the nuances in each other's personalities and appreciating each other's differences.

- Just Open the Door by Jen Schmidt
This is a book about hospitality, but really, in a much deeper way, this is a book about community.  Community is central to the living and sharing the Gospel.  Hospitality is modeled throughout Scripture.  I was encouraged to keep opening the door to my home and let Jesus use me in any way He can. 

Next time we chat, I'd love to hear what you're reading...


Dominique