Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Labor Day Weekend

Last weekend, we made a game-time decision to head to the cabin over Labor Day.  

I had carted Blossom4 off to a fair and knew I'd be tired upon my return.  However, this was the perfect opportunity for the quick overnight type of trip that I love to sneak in now that the Blossoms are older.  We're only an hour from the cabin.  That's ONE hour from resting, relaxing, and reconnecting as a family.  


Blossom2's 15th birthday was Labor Day.  Besides the turnovers, stromboli, and chocolate peanut butter cake she requested, her only other request was that she would not have to muck out rabbit pens on her birthday.  Mucking out pens happens every Saturday or on family work days... like "Labor Day" often turns into.  That was my additional motivation to get to the cabin despite how tired I was.  I knew Blossom2 would relish being at the cabin for her birthday.  


I pulled in the driveway and trudged up the steps with the victorious Blossom1.  She always is feeling a bit victorious after a fair queen obligation has concluded.  It's satisfying to conquer these obligations.  She never knows what exactly she'll be expected to do... and yet, she keeps rising to the occasion and doing what is required of her.  


I, on the other hand, crawled into my bed and closed my eyes for a short breather.  And I pow-wowed with the Rugged Mountain Man.  The schedules are always busy with the Blossoms at this age, it seems.  

We must take the family rest and reconnection wherever and whenever we can.  

I told the girls to grab their sleeping bags, swimming suits, hoodies, and a change of clothes.  


I marshalled my energy and went to the kitchen to put together birthday food.  A little work now so that I could relax on Labor Day.

Within 1 1/4 hour of declaring the official decision that we'd venture forth, we were headed down the driveway.  And there was no yelling.  I held tightly to the peace and the reason for this trip.  Conflict would not rest us.  


I did forget to grab the Rugged Mountain Man's pillow, but at least we were all calm during prep time.  That's worth it.  


It rained quite a bit while we were there.  That's not a problem, as we sally forth even when water is falling from the sky.  We also love the sound of raindrops on the roof, lulling us to slumber.  Naps and books are a big part of our time there as well.

On one excursion, Blossom4 and I were dinging around by the creek and ended up hunting for heart rocks.  We found five, but we think Binney decided she really wanted the tiniest one as a souvenir.  


The rest and the peace was lovely.  Blossom2 had a fabulous birthday!

It was totally worth it!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!