Wednesday, July 3, 2013

To give rest

We live in a crazy, fast-paced world. There's rarely a moment to rest and reflect, which means we must find or make those moments ourselves.  Rather than unwinding in front of the TV, I prefer to read recreationally. I've found that this influences me to Godliness.  The wholesomeness is restful and rejuvenating.  When I read the Anne books by Lucy Maud Montgomery, I'm reminded to savor my children and all their joyous childish ways all the more.  I remember to look at God's lovely creation and let Him speak to me.  This series also reminds me of Psalms; "When I lift up my eyes to the hills, from whence comes my help." I esteem virtue.  Those Poverbs 31 sort of things are beautiful. When I read The Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, I'm reminded of living holy, while under persecution, a theme also found in 1 Peter.  The power of faith is evident to me as I read The Secret Garden by the same author.  Little Lord Fauntleroy reminded me to believe the best in people.  The Lost Prince clearly illustrated the importance of obeying the Master's orders, following His plan and always being faithful. When I read Jane Austen 's masterpiece Pride and Prejudice, I recall the pitfalls of pride.  Emma reminds me of the dangers of vanity.  I also love the sweet, pure writings of Grace Livingston Hill.  My sister and I joke that when we put down one of her books we feel like praying and cooking our family a delectable homey meal. Gene Stratton Potter's Girl of the Limberlost is a story that vividly cautions me against bitterness.  I could go on and on about reading biographies, cookbooks, mysteries, historical fiction and such.  Some choose to unwind with a sitcom of zero virtue, but I choose to reinforce virtue with wholesome clean reading.  "If there be any virtue, if there be any praise, think on these things."