Monday, August 5, 2013

Keep Trying

The Wife-Mother stage can be exhausting.  It can break you.  For real.  But, that's what happens when we journey on and swim upstream in our own strength.  A simple word has been coming to me in those times that I feel discouraged.  "Keep trying."  I won't give up on devotions with my children, just because I don't remember every day.  I won't give up on Scripture memory, just because I was too tired for "one more thing" at lunch before I herd us all back for naps.  I won't give up on personal devotion time for our children, just because I didn't remember to remind one of the Blossoms to read and write down a thought or two in her notebook.  Some people give up.  "It isn't worth it.  I keep forgetting.  I'm just not that disciplined, etc."  They let that be their reason for giving up on something good, often something very right and worthwhile in the long run.  And that's where the word comes in.  "Keep trying."  I think back to my own upbringing.  What do I remember?  My Mom sharing a word fresh from her time in the Word.  I remember those family prayer times.  I remember times of spontaneous worship and singing in the car.  I remember my Dad helping us learn to read the Bible through in a year.  Did it happen every night or morning, every day of my life?  Nope.  But they kept trying.  And it stuck with me.  So, I'm gonna keep trying.  I'm gonna keep persevering in the worthwhile things.