Monday, August 26, 2013

Where are the bake sales?

I survived Walmart today only to meet with some nice little boys at the exit with buckets for me to throw money in... for youth football.  Gag.  Amidst corralling 2 walking girlies, pushing 1 full cart with 1 girlie in it and me wearing 1 girlie, I thought, "Is this what our society is coming to?"  Kids are now taught to beg for money for their programs.  So many times I've thought of speaking with the chaperoning adult to let them know I would've happily bought a brownie or two... okay four, so there'd be enough for Mommy AND the Blossoms.  The only buckets I put money in are the offering baskets at church and the bell-ringing ones at Christmastime, which are totally different concepts - giving God the best and giving to the needy.  Football, cheerleading and such are not needy.  There are a few car washes left out there, but where are those irresistible bake sales?  Growing up, I got sun-burned washing cars for my gymnastics team.  I baked LATE into the night (okay morning) hours for youth group bake sales.  And, I learned that you work hard and long and that's how the funds grow.  Nowadays it's oftentimes just kids with buckets.  The blaring message is, "If you or your program needs something, just stand there and beg."  Was there work involved?  Nope.  Was their sacrifice?  Nope.  Was there a lesson learned?  Nope.  Just more entitlement mentality being fostered in our youth.  Would somebody PLEASE bake some brownies and I'll happily plunk down my quarters?!