Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On provoking

I've thought a lot about the concept of pleasing or provoking your husband.  Because there is such a provoking that can take place in a marriage, I could push my beloved man into sin!  Gah!  And, what is ultra-sobering is the thought that God will hold me responsible for my part in that.  (It's like putting a stumbling block in his path.)  I realize that my husband still has his free will and I still have mine, but now that we two have become one, my actions have a constant and direct effect on him (and vice versa, of course).  If I regularly provoke him with my choices, I think God will hold me responsible for constantly provoking him to sin.  It's one way we wives can be like a drippy, leaky faucet - choosing what does not please him and him having to fight all the harder to live a holy lifestyle.  Isn't there enough sin and worldliness for our husbands to fight against in this life, without having to battle the provocations of his own wife as well?