Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Make Mention

Most moms struggle with not praying for their family enough.  I feel bad that I don't have long, persevering prayer times regularly for my husband, children and unsaved family members.  Then, I stumbled across Philemon 1:4.  (Ephesians 1:16 and 1 Thessalonians 1:2 are similar verses). 

"I thank my God always, making mention of you in my prayers"...

Paul, one of the most respected apostles, made mention of people in his prayers!  AHA!  (It really was a lightbulb moment!)  I can mention those desires and requests regarding my family to the Lord in prayer - over the wash, while I do dishes, in the shower, and best of all, during my personal time with God.  While I still desire those times of longer, more persevering type prayer, I can see that God values "making mention" of my family in my prayers.  I must not throw out any tools that God puts in the toolbox!  Making faith-filled mention of my family in my prayers is as important as those Spirit-led times of longer, intense prayer.