Monday, March 18, 2013

To Be or Not to Be a Diva: Dirt

My thoughts on Divas, Christianity, Women and Girls:

Yes, DIRT is important in the bringing up of our Blossoms. In NO way am I trying to raise them to be boys.  In fact, our aim is to raise them to be real women of God.  My upbringing included such things as mowing the lawn (before I could push it myself, my sister and I pushed the lawn mower together for hours to get the job done), shoveling snow, scrubbing and cleaning, even volunteering at a Christian camp as kitchen help (that means washing dishes for 150 people), etc.  I also spent hours climbing trees, swinging on the rope swing and playing in the sandbox.  I wasn't exactly a tomboy either, as dolls, doing hair and reading and such were also a big part of my childhood, BUT, in no way, could you ever call me a sissy girl.  (just ask the boys next door, whom I kicked in the shins, when they didn't play fair at soccer or baseball in our yard)  A Christian woman has got to be willing to get down and get dirty for Jesus.  Motherhood is messy business (try cleaning up a puking, squirming, crying child).  Wifehood can call you into all sorts of odd jobs (stacking wood, helping to put up a fence, cleaning things that are uncleanable, etc.)  If dirt freaks you out, or if you're too worried about dirt to help when help is needed, you may be on the path to Divahood.  Think of the story of the Good Samaritan.  Divahood reminds me of the man who crossed to the other side of the road, instead of helping the man who was in dire need.  Dirt simply can't scare us from service.  Then, there's the story of the woman who washed Jesus' feet.  What a dirty, nasty, stinky job.  She didn't let dirt scare her from sacred service.  Oh, this Christian life is one long, continuous road of (hopefully) joyous service!  I want my children to see the side of serving Jesus that's real, not some glamorous show that some think it is.  My Dad says that it is rarely convenient to help someone.  I say that it is rarely clean, tidy or pretty to serve someone.  Maybe if the Blossoms get down and dirty for Jesus now, it'll be easier later.