Monday, April 28, 2014

My Shoes/Your Shoes

The older I get, the more I understand the saying, "Never judge a man til you've walked a mile in his shoes." 

It's so easy to think you know all the factors, to point out all that somebody else is doing wrong or all that they need to do in a given situation.  The fact is, you aren't in that situation.  And, that's not to say that you have to experience the exact same thing as someone to offer a timely word.  But, you're not there.  It's up to that person to do what is right before God, despite what other people think. 

Furthermore, I now realize that moms need to be especially careful to consider the very age-specific season their children are in when comparing to other families.  I've had folks speak with superiority over me, when really, the only difference in my situation is not that I'm doing worse than them at managing my time, it's that I have much younger children.  A mom with 4 children, ages 1 to 8 has limitations that a mom of 2 children, ages 5 to 7.  The converse is true though too.  I'm very ashamed to say that I thought I was doing better than some and it was just that my season was different.  The bad part of that is that God doesn't measure you against your peers!  That little superiority things gets me nowhere in eternity.  That's very convicting. 

It reminds me of how important for me to KNOW, beyond all doubts, that I'm doing my best before God.