Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Bring on the Pico

One of the Rugged Mountain Man's favorite summertime traditions is a culinary masterpiece my sister shared with me called, "Pico De Gallo."  I've tweaked to make it our own, but it's a mainstay here.


I've never found another recipe that can so easily showcase the garden's best produce as well as our beloved "Pico."


This time of year, the Rugged Mountain Man says we ought to buy stock in the tortilla chip companies.

 
(Above photos - credit to my sister,
below photos - pitiful attempt to be like my sister)
 
I've also learned that if I want some "Pico," I'd better get it before I even put it in the fridge.  Because, yeah, that Mountain Man o' mine, he can slam some "Pico."
 

I came out from putting the children to bed and there he sat, with an empty bowl of "Pico" and a guilty expression. "Sorry."  We laughed together. 

I tell my family all the time, "Come to my house and eat my food, because if you don't, that's one of the surest ways to offend me."  It makes me happy just to see the Rugged Mountain Man's eyes light up when he opens the fridge door and sees a big 'ole batch of "Pico." 


Pico De Gallo (aka Fresh Salsa)
 
- 5 Whole Tomatoes of differing varieties, chopped according to your preference 
(I puree mine in a food processor and then drain off some of the juice)
- 1/2 Large Onion
- 1/2 Green or Red Sweet Pepper
- 2 Chile Peppers (but we like it kinda hot!)
- 1 bunch Cilantro (I harvest mine in bulk in the late spring and freeze it for such a time as this!)
- 1/2 T. Minced Garlic
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Course Salt to taste
 
Chop everything small.  (Break out your food processor!)  Throw it all in a glass bowl.  Stir lots.  Taste it often.  Best when refrigerated for a little while before serving.  Break out the Tostitos and see if you can get yourself to stop eating it!  (I normally double this recipe.)
 
Enjoy!  :)
Dominique
 
PS - This recipe is terrific stirred into mashed avocadoes for an awesome Guacamole!