Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Very Hungry (Plastic) Caterpillar Who Eats Felt

We love The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, so why not create our own little caterpillar?  Pinterest doesn't get credit for this little project; my friend, Red does


















Except Red's story didn't turn out so well.  She made this little project out of a Parmesan Cheese container.  Her youngest son at the time LOVED it.  She must've read the book to him about twenty times that day and he wanted it read to him one more time.  I remember her saying something about responding to him, "Not now, Honey.  I gotta do the dishes."  Next thing you know they were headed to the Emergency Room because he got his finger stuck in the smallest hole of the Parm lid. 
Gulp.  What.A.Day.


 

Just some eyes and a mouth on our caterpillar.   (I used an almonds container simply because that's what I had!)

 

Evidently Jake loves The Very Hungry Caterpillar.


 


So there you have it.  Cut a few shapes from leftover felt and use them to correspond to the story.  The whole project took less than five minutes.  I love that Blossom4 gets color practice and fine motor skills development when we read the story.  (Oh, and please admire the holes in my Swiss cheese slice.  Blossom2 specifically requested them.  "You can do the holes too, Mommy!")