Monday, March 23, 2015

Living Too Loud

Thanks for joining me on a journey to evaluate our social media usage. Does the Bible really have anything to say about this internet age and how it relates to me? Read on to find out!
As a Christian teen, the saying, "Live out loud" was something of a buzz phrase. It challenged most teens to live a level of holiness that was loudly obvious to other folks, to make culturally abnormal steps in making their lives more acceptable to God. The internet has created another phenomenon - the danger of living too loud. There are just some things in Christianity that we're supposed to be quiet about, things that just speak for themselves. Ask yourself this question:

Do I blab my good works via social media?

Matthew 6:3 says, “But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing... "
We are even warned to “Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven."(Matthew 6:1)

This same chapter gives guidelines for praying, fasting, giving and in general, just practicing your righteousness. Why do we need to share about the meal we made for the needy family? Why do we need to tell that we're babysitting our friends' kids to help them out? Why do we need to broadcast our involvement in a bake sale for a good cause? Why?

When it comes down to it, we've allowed Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like to ensnare us into blabbing our good works.  We've started living too loud. 
As a blogger, I want my blog to help others. If I feel His pricking in my conscience, I don't post it (even if it would've been terrific content or if I finally had an outstanding picture to go with it). That pricking in my conscience would surely mean I'd crossed from helping to blabbing. Matthew 6:1 gives a stern warning because if we start doing (sharing) things to be noticed by people (to get a few "likes?"), we've lost the Eternal reward. Let that sober thought sink in. We could be doing something that only holds a reward for here and now. That scenario alone makes my heart heavy. Be aware of the pitfall of blabbing your good works.  We're living loud, when we ought to be quiet.

I dare you to take drastic measures
to stop blabbing your good works on social media.