Monday, March 16, 2015

Mom - da - what????

Thanks for joining me on a journey to evaluate our social media usage.  Does the Bible really have anything to say about this internet age and how it relates to me?  Read on to find out!


Just a little note here about something I've experienced. 

"Momdescension."

You've just experienced or spoke of a potentially embarrassing situation with one of your children.  A super messy diaper.  A potty accident in public.  A colossal fit in the library.  A child freaking out at the doctor's office.  You fill in with your own scenario. 

And an acquaintance shares how their kids never did anything like that.  Ever.  You can hear it.  They are such a better Mom than you.  You must be a quack to be experiencing such things.  Your kids have a loser for a mom.

That's Mommy Condescension or

Momdescension.

And social media is chock-full of Momdescension.  It can be as simple as puffed-up words about how great their children are.  Momdescension can be the trap of comparison.  Momdescension can be bragging.  Momdescension can be photos that show the good and never the bad or the real. 

It's talk (or photos or blog entries or statuses or tweets) that are unfit for the Lord's use.  It's words that aren't helpful for the need of the moment. 

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4:29
Maybe you somehow dodged the bullet when it came to poop on your favorite Packet jacket on a trip to Walmart, but is this really the time to say that?  Where is the word that is needed in that particular moment of the conversation? 
I'm sure that I have unwittingly Momdescended.  I do think that I have pretty amazing girlies, so I know it can pop out.  I've resolved to keep trying every moment to be sensitive to others and what the Holy Spirit needs me to say.  I've always loved the verse,
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."
Proverbs 25:11
 
The right word at the right time is a beautiful thing.