Monday, March 9, 2015

What does it make you think about?

Thanks for joining me on a journey to evaluate our social media usage.  Does the Bible really have anything to say about this internet age and how it relates to me?  Read on to find out!


What does it make you think about?

This is the first verse that comes to mind for me. 

Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

The next time you whip your iPhone out of your pocket, stop and think.  Is what I'm reading going to fall into these categories?  

Sometimes we like to use old-world type vocabulary as an excuse not to apply the verses to our daily life.  That's why I compiled a list of a few synonyms.  SO MUCH is weeded out when I take my media consumption to this list. 

Grave, decent, chaste, holy, noble, honorable, dignified, elevated, lovely, beautiful, admirable, speaking well of, praiseworthy, whatever calls down approval of God, virtuous

It weeds out the so-so.  It makes me unfollow the less than lovely Pinterest pinners.  It gives me a real reason to delete less than admirable blogs from my Feedly app. 

Let's avoid being all self-righteous here.  If you're on Facebook, but not on Twitter, don't tune me out.  If you're on Instagram and avoid Facebook like the plague, that doesn't mean you can skip out on this series.  Let's let the Holy Spirit shine His light on our habits.  Then, we'll see how very little can be described by the adjectives above. 


Take a look at the rest of the series here:

- What does it make you think about?
- Are there too many words?

 - Are you reading gossip or gossiping?
- Is it slander?
- Is it unwholesome?
- Is it unfit for use God’s use?
- Is it foul, filthy or coarse?
- Does it grieve the Holy Spirit?
- Is it silly talk?
- Is it a word fitly spoken?
- Are you busy-bodying?
- Do you blab your good works?
- Are you wasting time or being idle?
- Is it first world drama?
 - Is it bad company?
- Is it the appropriate medium of communication?

- Is it promoting “WITH” for the best interests of my family?