Monday, June 1, 2015

The Measure of a Woman

I love my little cocoon in the Hollow.  My husband cherishes me.  My children love me.  For the most part, it's a peaceful life with honest work.  No part of it reaks of isolation.  The sheer simplicity helps keep the Main Thing front and center.  Occasionally when I venture out I see how flip-flopped the world is.  I mean, the Word says that evil will be called good and vice versa.  But then, you experience it afresh.

That's what propelled me to ask, "What is the measure of a woman?" 

Amidst my physical imperfections, I pondered about all I live for and the convictions I strive after.  I thought about all the times I pray, "Let me do what pleases You today" or "Let me glorify You today."  Yes, I'll never be on a magazine cover.  I'm not a poster girl, trophy wife or glamour girl. 

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."
Proverbs 31:10
 
What is the measure of a woman?  Virtue.  The price of me is FAR above rubies.  That's how valuable I am, and it's because of what's inside me.  Something that's been formed and worked out and practiced, year in and year out, day after day. 
 
Virtue.  That's the measure of a woman.