Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day Weekend

Life around here sure has been spring-like and it's enjoyable, for sure!  The girlies and I have been whittling away at stacking the wood and on Thursday, we put in 2.75 hours and got 'er done.  Now THAT was a good feeling.  The Blossoms were such a big help this year! 

We squeezed in a little garage-sale-ing - a favorite pastime of mine - on Friday.  The weather cooperated for most of the morning, long enough for me to pick up a delightfully summery canvas bag and a vintage Strawberry Shortcake book.  I also snagged a neat plastic tote that is sturdy enough for all my smaller baking supplies, like Baking Soda, Baking Powder and such.  I'm totally loving that it has streamlined the baking process.  Speaking of kitchen things, Blossom2 made supper on Tuesday by herself and Blossom1 made supper Friday night.  To say that Mommy was grateful is a major understatement.  It was more like this mama was in awe of finally reaping a harvest of all the child training in the kitchen that we've done for so long.  (Galatians 6:9) 

Friday night, a friend hosted a wonderful opportunity for moms to get out and have a little time to themselves.  It was so enjoyable to chat and chill with old friends and new friends too. 

On Saturday, the sun shone again and the girlies and I puttered in the garden.  I think the time I spent in there was cut in half, since they were able to truly "help."  If you have a toddler and preschooler, you know why I said, "Truly help."  Again, the overwhelming emotion was of gratitude.  When God blesses us and lets us see the fruition of our labor, it's important to be thankful - to realize that what was done, was done by His grace and in His strength.  We can only persevere in child training, through Him and in Him.  When we respond to good results with pride, it's cripples God being able to do more, because pride goes before a fall. 

Saturday night, we trekked to family's house for my nephew's birthday party.  An amazing thing happened.  I was able to hang out with my husband some during the party.  For the last ten years, I've always had a "little," which needed more than occasional supervision.  I've tried to care for them with a good attitude and gentle love.  This time, however, Blossom4 was off and running with the cousins and only needed me checking in on her from across the room or deck.  It was a neat experience, watching the seasons of parenting change in our lives. 

Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny again.  I'm thankful that the Rugged Mountain Man tries to make Mother's Day a big deal here.  I realize that not every mother receives the treatment I do, but whenever things feel unjust in life, I find comfort in the fact that God sees and God always takes care of that stuff.  If not now, He rights those wrongs in Eternity.  That thought has been so big for the Rugged Mountain Man and me in the past two years or so, as we've been treated unjustly and had to practice making Godly decisions and living with integrity, even when we were being short-changed.  But God.  Yes, but God, always works in those situations and rights them. 

I taught the girlies how to makes earrings this past week and I, as well as all the womenfolk in the family, reaped great rewards of that yesterday.  FUN!!!  :)  When the Rugged Mountain Man asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, I requested a black striped maxi skirt and red sandals.  I've taken to asking for classic pieces on holidays, if I'm asked.  It helps me look well put together during the rest of the year.


Red sandals aren't as versatile as everything else in my closet, but I own several striped pieces and denim pieces, so I figured they'd end up seeing a lot of use.

We went out to eat after church to my favorite salad bar place. We were seated right smack-dab in the center of the restaurant. When the girlies were little, I used to cringe when we were led to that table.  Think, "Everybody has a front row seat to everything that can possibly go wrong when you take four young children to a restaurant for supper."  But, it didn't.  The Rugged Mountain Man and I told the Blossoms how glad we were that they behaved themselves.  More fruit.  "Oh, thank you, God!" 

I'm looking over the past several days with nothing but gratitude.  I'm praying that God can use me in some way this week, in the lives and training of our children and in the lives of friends and neighbors. 

Dominique