Friday, November 18, 2016

On Provoking

We recently took a jaunt to one of our favorite state parks.  The fresh air was invigorating, as was the "mom time." 
 
The girls soaked up the learning opportunities with their pals, finding the geocaching and GPS instruction to be especially interesting.

 
Everywhere I go, every path I walk in a day,
I'm listening through the noise of walking out my calling.

 
I want the Lord to show me how to serve Him better.

 
One thing I've been listening to the Holy Spirit's whisperings about is provoking my children. 

 
He's putting His finger on this, showing me there are times that my response to their tiffs, arguments and such is provoking them into further sin.


I am human and I feel frustration at their struggles and sins.

 
Sin is never an excuse for more sin.  Period.

 
As they come to me in their own frustration and/or anger with/at each other,
I'm thankful to be feeling the "check" of the Holy Spirit. 


"What will you say?  Will you join in their sin?  Will you add to it? 
Will you provoke them to (further) anger?" 


Or will it be a soft answer? 
 
Believe me, I've noticed that the softer answer helps everyone simmer down.
 
God is always still working on me.
 
"A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger."
Proverbs 15:1 NASB
 
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger,
but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4 NASB