Wednesday, February 27, 2013

To Be or Not To Be a Diva: Another thing

My thoughts on Divas, Christianity, Women and Girls:

The next thing that comes to my mind when I think of whether or not there are Christian divas, is the story of the rich young ruler.  It is found in Mark 10.  The young man had kept so many of the commandments for a good long time.  And, many divas do.  They might not steal or overall, appear to be upstanding citizens.  However, there's one thing they lack.  It is that total abandon.  That willingness to do ANYTHING for Christ.  In their case, that "anything" might be a willingness to sell all their fashionable clothing and accessories if Christ prompted them to do so.  And, as I write this, I feel the Holy Spirit pricking my heart.  How willing am I to give up anything that Christ would want me to part with?  If He prompts, my heart should jump in obedience.  (If that's too sappy for you, I'm not sorry, because that's how simple obedience to my Lord ought to be for me.)  It bothers me that we excuse "divahood" in today's society (or today's church, for that matter) because their vice or crutch or besetting sin or whatever you want to call it is, "only beauty" or "only fashion."  If anything stands in front of my love for Christ, it is wrong.  It is an idol.  Divas have an idol.  Therefore, it is wrong.