Friday, February 28, 2014

What Willie Wonka Will Do For Your Children

Audio books have proven to be one of our favorite things for riding in the truck and running errands.  Most local libraries have a fantastic selections of classic and new audio books alike.  So, audio books have become a staple for us.  This last time we visited the library, I snagged Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.  Blossom1 and I had each read it recently and were charmed.  The audio version was exquisite.  (I appreciate the silence it creates in back seats.)  And, I love how their imaginations are working, inventing and creating pictures. 

There's another aspect of listening to audio books together that I hadn't been counting on. I never want to lose touch with our children.  I don't want to be the stranger in the room that has no way to relate with them.  This is so important to me because I believe that relationship is how Christianity is passed on to our children.

When I realized that listening together led to discussion, I danced a little happy dance (in my mind). 

Over lunch, we were talking about what fruit to eat and Blossom2 wittily noted that we wouldn't be eating "snozzberries."  Of course, that led to more references to the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory story.  Finally, we ended up comparing and contrasting the various characters in the book.  The lessons to be learned are many.  One character has a problem with gluttony.  One character is a TV couch potato.  One is an excessively obnoxious gum-chewer and then, the hero of the story is grateful and good, even though he has so little.  I was stunned at the insights my children gleaned from the story.  My mind raced along with them as they evaluated each character and their parents' choices, all the while, I was making mental notes to continue choosing books chock-full of moral strength and virtue. 

Later, when one Blossom (who shall remain nameless) was being particularly selfish, another Blossom chided her with, "You are acting just like Veruca Salt... I want, I want, I WANT."  It certainly wasn't complimentary.  I smiled and held my peace.