Monday, November 10, 2014

Ain't nobody here?

Growing up, my parents and our church talked a lot about excellence - doing everything as unto the Lord.  Do whatever it is in the most excellent way possible, be it small or big.  I think that the temptation as a housewife is to think that nobody's watching.  Nobody is here but me and the kiddos.  So, housewives can get in a slovenly rut. 

Whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord.

Housewives and stay at home moms are tempted just to throw on some clothes, to slap some food on the table, to avoid the hard and dirty work whenever possible, to do the bare discipline minimum.  Why?  Ladies, we buy into that when we think nobody is here. 

Somebody is here. 

He is watching. 

He is watching what you put on your body.  He is watching how you interact with your husband.  He is watching how you raise and discipline your children.  He is watching all those loads of wash that you do and all those meals that you cook.  The Almighty is in my home and He is watching me.  That thought alone is a thought that propels me from the slovenly rut to the "heartily" side. 

Whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord.