Monday, July 4, 2016

On Shepherding

As I'm reading Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, I'm soaking in its deep truths. 

 
I'm taking my time.  I usually read fiction with a pressing urge to get to the end,
to find out what happens.

 
 
I'm on the edge of my seat, the way most folks are during a movie.  Despite that drive, I'm ruminating as much as possible on this gem of book.


One of the biggest lessons that I'm putting into practice is slowing down my parental discipline. 

 
Most good lessons aren't learned, taught or experienced simply because I'm in a hurry to get to the next task.  (Shame on me.)

 
But parenting is THE task.  The most important task that I'm doing right now.

 
On one such recent occasion, I spoke to one Blossom, "You are a great leader.  You have immense potential in leading people, but you must use it for good."

 
She responded with a sheepish, embarrassed smile and I was at a loss as to why.

 
I felt ashamed when I realized because it was because that was the first time I'd told her that, though the Rugged Mountain Man have long recognized this in her.

 
I'd been so busy giving commands like "Don't be so bossy" and "Stop bossing your sisters around."

 
I was so intent on modifying her behavior, that I'd missed the bigger picture altogether.

 
God has already put certain talents in the lives of each of our girls. 

 
As in my own life, certain talents often are accompanied by specific habitual failings or weaknesses. 


It's wise to see this and act upon those things, to let the Spirit work in those areas.

 
I was too intent on making the sisterly chaos cease, than the formation of character.

 
So, I'm just gonna keep slowing down.  This is THE task. I don't want to Blossoms to go their whole lives not hearing about their strengths and correspondingly working on their weaknesses. 
 
(More pics from our recent cabin jaunt.)