Monday, July 11, 2016

Grace in Difficulty

Blossom4 was just coming off being sick.  She was demonstrating what most moms will recognize and what I have dubbed "post-sickness attitudes."
 

I've never been sure exactly why these attitudes evidence.  Perhaps after being coddled for days, it's back to life as usual and this is something of a letdown.


Perhaps they feel better enough to be up and around, but still not normal enough to be their normal happy-go-lucky selves. 


I don't know. 


But that day was epic in her defiance and disobedience.  #idontexaggerate


I was chatting with the Rugged Mountain Man a minute and he thought a bomb went off here.


That's how crazy it sounded in the usually quiet Hollow.


By the end of the day, I was beyond exhausted.  Discouraged.  Stressed.  Overwhelmed.  Crying.


Though my goal for the day had been to remember 1 Timothy 1:5 (NASB),

"But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith,"


this mama felt like it was World War III between Blossom4 and me. 


The Rugged Mountain Man let me cry and hugged me close.  And I went to bed.  #bedtimeiswiseformamas


This morning, I felt like I ought to count my blessings, literally listing them in my journal. 


It helps my priorities when I count my blessings.  The issues and problems slide back in their proper place.


Little problems and big problems alike adjust all in the light of eternity.  Everything shifts.


I wrote, "I am thankful that I have the Holy Spirit to grace me in all the difficult things I must do today." 


This defiance from the little treasure God gave us is something we won't sweep under the carpet.


It's important enough to take my to-do list, cut it in half, just so I can be available to calmly deal with her and whatever's going on inside her heart and mind.


But I am not alone.  This issue doesn't loom as large anymore.

 
I felt peace spilling into my soul as my focus sharpened onto what was truly needed.


Grace.  The power of the Holy Spirit.  The help of God. 


Yesterday, I started out leaning on Him, but then I eventually marched back into my own strength.

"I am thankful that I have the Holy Spirit
to grace me in all the difficult things I must do today."
                              He will grace you too,
                  Dominique
      
PS - All photos from our recent nature walk with an old friend.