Monday, October 1, 2012

It's the little foxes...


My Dad always had a saying that went like this, "It's the little foxes that spoil the vine."  He was referring to Song of Solomon 2:15.  He was teaching me a principle that little things, left un-checked, will spoil big things.  Now, for the application in this instance.  After my husband washes his hands at the kitchen sink, he dries them on the hand towel and the above photo chronicles how he hangs it up when he is done.  It was a Saturday when I took this picture.  I was at the sink after him.  I took one look at it and I had a choice to make.  I could be glad that he hangs up the hand towel, or I can gripe about HOW he hangs it up. (After all, I do love things tidy around the house.)  I don't know what you're thinking of me as you read this, but if you're judging me for being a nit-picky neat-freak wife, I'm sad to say that you're totally missing the point.  Every wife I know has an application in this example.  I can choose to let some dumb little hand towel annoy me and lead me to complaining, grumbling and whining, or I can be thankful that he hung it up or even that he washes his hands!  Enter your application here.  Instead of griping that he doesn't have a job, be thankful he's looking.  Instead of complaining that he isn't as good a husband as somebody else's, be thankful you HAVE a husband.  (A single girl would probaby envy you your less-than-perfect husband.)  Instead of whining about his dirty clothes on the floor, be thankful that he was alive to make the clothes dirty or that he worked in those clothes to make them dirty.  Instead of bemoaning his spending habits, be thankful that he has a generous heart.  If I let it, a little fox can spoil the vine.  The little thoughts leads to bigger sins.  I want God to help me think the best of my husband in every situation.