Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What is Foolishness?

I mentioned this blog series to my husband and we chatted about it.  He reminded me of this verse regarding foolishness.  Proverbs 22:15 says, "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."  Excessive childishness leads to foolishness.  And the Bible does instruct us how to deal with foolishness.  With the rod of discipline, or correction!  So, although childishness is not usually spank-worthy, childishness that is excessive is foolishness or often leads to foolishness.  The Bible does say that is spank-worthy.  For example, girls seem to tend toward silly talk or chatter.  It is normally childish, harmless, funny and even cute.  However, it can get excessive.  I mean, when they are calling everybody, "Mustache-Potato-Head!" and babbling other such nonsense and then giggling uncontrollably, it seems to have gone too far.  Left unchecked, it could cause them to think it's ok to be disrespectful to people.  We curb it there.  If they continue to insist on talking foolish talk, it does lead to a spanking.  They can end it with obedience or they can choose to be foolish and get the spanking.  Perhaps, I haven't picked the most vivid or convincing example in your mind, but I look back to my childhood/teenage years and I remember a girl I knew.  She was allowed to continue in silly, foolish talk.  She babbled it unrestrainedly.  She said such "dumbness" like I am a pear or I am a penguin friend something or other.  I remember thinking it was strange that she continued talking like that after she was done with her preschool and early elementary years.  (We're talking when she was 12ish.)  She isn't serving God now.  I'm not saying that her foolish talk is the reason why.  Looking back, it just makes me wonder what other foolishness should've been driven out with the rod.  Maybe her path would've been different.  I realize that it may be difficult to deal with foolishness.  You know what is excessive childishness in your child.  You're the parent.  Deal with it, whether well-meaning others think you should or not.  The Bible proves Itself to be true and right time and time again.