Friday, January 31, 2014

Get Your Kids in the Kitchen!

Getting kids in the kitchen has such great rewards in the long run and it can be something as simple as handing them a wooden spoon and telling them to stir.  I will be the very first to admit that it isn't always easy.  Things take longer.  The messes are bigger.  (For a time-crunched mama, this one is very hard for me to swallow.)  It's worth it though. 
 
Our new Friday Night Family Fun Nights are so much better with special food.  I reached back into my childhood and went with this Cream Cheese Chili Dip.  Yes, I realize it is categorized as junk food, but it's the exception in our food repertoire, not the rule. 
 
Blossom #1 smeared two packages of cream cheese on the bottom.   (Say hello to Jake who is drooling over the cream cheese wrappers.  He will swipe them out of the garbage can once Blossom #3 drops them in there.)
 

She dumped in 3 cans of Hormel Chili


and sprinkled on loads of Mozzerella Cheese. 


We baked it til bubbly and then dug in with the Tostitos.  I realize that I've just broken one of the most important rules of food blogging, in that there is no picture of the completed product.  I can't help it; I never claimed to be a food blogger.  Maybe I forgot, maybe they ate it too quick.  Who knows. 
 
The real point of this post is to let your kids do stuff in the kitchen.  This is the reason all of the photos are unstaged, unedited and only delightfully messy.  Because that's what kids in the kitchen looks like. 
 
Drips,
imperfections...
and smiles.