Wednesday, July 23, 2014

the What Next concept

Amidst the packing, I enlisted the help of my small army on the premises.  They were learning the "What Next?" concept.  I assign a task.  They complete it.  Then, something mysterious happens.  They disappear.  It's so strange.  Suddenly,  I find them reappearing in the yard, playing.  But, wait?  I needed H E L P. 

It's a concept known as initiative to some.  Our Blossoms have got to learn it.  So, we drilled this concept this week.  You obey by completing your task and then, return and ask me, "What next?"  For play-loving bodies, it's a little difficult to grasp, but they can enjoy the rewards of working hard to get somewhere and then enjoying the fruits of that work. 

But, when they start saying, "What next?" be ready.  If you aren't, it'll drive you half buggy to try to think through your list while your 4 year old is saying, with her usual persistence,

"What next, Mama?  What you want me to do now?"

"Mama... MAMA... what you want me to do now?"

"Hey, Mama, I said WHAT NEXT??"

It'll force you to be ready.  Hey, that's a good problem to have though.  And, they'll appreciate a time to work and a time to play. 

When it's time to work, we work.
When it's time to play, we play. 

Shhhh, what's that?  I can hear the creek at the cabin calling to me!  Just a little more work and we'll be there.