Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What a Difference A Season Can Make

Oh, what a difference a season can make!  While I love being on vacation, taking "littles" to a rustic cabin in the middle of no where, means LOTS of packing.  I dreaded the unpacking as well.  I once calculated that it took me a week or more to get everything back in order!  I didn't realize how much having "littles" affected that. 

(Back in the day, the shoe lineup at the cabin looked more like this for ALL of the girlies... tiny, tiny little shoes!")


Now that the girlies are 8, 6, 4 and 15 months, I've noticed quite a difference.  We've worked with them for quite some time to pull their weight around here.  Additionally, the "What Next?" concept made great strides in Mommy having help too. 

I couldn't believe it when we had everything unpacked and put away in 2 days.  WOW.  Amazing. 

My heart was chock-full of gratitude as I communicated to the girlies how much I appreciated their help - how I couldn't have done it without them.  I want them to know the satisfaction of a job well done.  They certainly deserve it.  Mommy is grateful to look around a tidy, "normal" house only days after vacation. 

And, I'm sharing this as a word of encouragement to mothers with "littler littles" than me.  They won't be THAT little forever.  Sure, it's crazy when they are all little-little because you're the only one pulling the load.  Keep at it.  Keep letting them "help."  Continue requiring the smaller jobs.  Don't stop supervise because it takes a little longer.  It's worth it.  I'm so pleased to be able to taste just a little of the joy of working alongside my own daughters.  Now, I'm smiling at the days ahead.  :)